OVERVIEW: Medalla, Dancing, Beaches
Flights to Puerto Rico are reasonably priced. From NYC you can fly round trip into San Juan for about $360. Jetblue offers great deals for nonstop flights to the Caribbean and ~BoNuS~ Jetblue always gives you complimentary snacks and drinks and you have your own TV at your seat.
There are two ways you can go when setting up camp in San Juan. You can either go beach or city. I personally prefer beach, but I’ve listed options in each location below.
- Villa Herencia Hotel; 3 stars, located in the heart of Old San Juan, rustic Spanish feel, breakfast is included.
- Olivia Boutique Hotel: 4 stars, rustic yet beachy vibe, reasonably priced, not located directly on the beach but offers you beach views.
- Condado Vanderbilt Hotel: 5 stars, luxury hotel, expensive, located on the beach, hotel has a spa and three restaurants.
Puerto Rico has so many different things to see. It’s almost hard to pick and chose what you want to do. Top three adventures you should go on are:
- El Yunque National Forest, which is the only tropical rain forest in the United States National Forest System. You can easily book an inexpensive day tour with your hotel and hike through the forest.
- If you’re willing to pay a little extra money, head over to the island of Culebra. Located 18 miles off the east coast of Puerto Rico and easily accessible by plane from San Juan or Ceiba airports or by a ferry that runs a few times a day. You will never see an island more beautiful than Culebra! Spend the day or spend the night.
- Make the short trip down to Old San Juan and experience the Castillo San Felipe del Morro and the beautifully colored homes that line the cobble streets. Make sure to stop and get lunch and a coffee!
- La Playita is a charming resturant situated right on the water, making for breath taking views while you enjoy your meal. Make sure you have a Coco Loco!
- Make sure you try some mofongo! This a dish made of fried plantains that are then mashed with other ingredients and typically topped with meat. Filling and delicious.
- Puerto Rico is known for it’s strong, bold coffee, make sure to grab a cup with milk!
- Medalla are the national beer of Puerto Rico! Grab a beer while you enjoy papas rellenas (fried, meat stuffed potatoes)
- Club Brava is the the place to party in San Juan. It’s located inside the Hotel San Juan and is open until the early morning hours. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- If you’re looking for a traditional Puerto Rican night out, go to La Placita. It’s cheap and fun and it’s where all of the locals hang out on the weekends.
Check out my trip below!